Design WordPress Themes For Money

I have been a member of the webmaster forums Digital Point for about a year, and I’ve seen hundreds of different ways people make money on there. One of the most profitable ways is designing WordPress themes and selling sponsor links on the footer.

While I don’t condone selling links, I don’t condemn it. I think selling sponsor links on WordPress themes is great for both parties. You get money for designing the theme and the link buyers get an unlimited amount of links from anyone who uploads the theme to their blog.

The themes that make the most money are the ones that look the best. Some really good themes will make up to $90 per link. An average looking theme will usually get between $15-$30.

To make the most money you should come up with an original design that has mass appeal, then post it on Digital Point with 3-4 link slots for sale. Usually there are 3 sponsor links for sale and one designer link, all in the footer.

After selling the links you should promote the theme to popular WordPress theme sites. Here are a few examples:

You can find similar sites by doing a Google search for WordPress themes.

The amount of sites you promote to and the originality of the theme will all factor into how much money you can make. This can be a fun and creative way to make some extra cash and to test your marketing skills.

20 Responses to Design WordPress Themes For Money

1. ChiQ Montes says:

True!! Most of the WordPress Themes I make are for Sponsorship.. the Custom made ones, I don’t put them in my portfolio anymore. I believe this is the best way to gain backlinks. It works for both parties, I earn as a designer, my clients reap traffic and backlinks.

2. I used to do that – eventually got lazy. It’s a nice way of making some fast money though if you ever need any, although in recent times I’ve kept the footer links for myself…

3. Bingo Online says:

if you are still planning to convert to WP, you should choose a properly optimized SEO theme..

4. Arun says:

Designing a wordpress theme is difficult for a noob!
    As Bingo said themes optimized for SEO will make a big hit!

5. Betty says:

I am not sure about this. It takes a lot of work, design and coding skills and there are so many templates for WordPress out already there.
    Maybe a template for another platform would be a better idea :D

6. Thanks.. it does look nice!

7. Chantix says:

It used to be a great way to build links but lately Google openly stated that they are against this method. So of you care about your Google PR and/or ranks be careful when implementing this as part of your building strategy.
    Cheers,

8. I see a lot of these offers on Digital Point to sponsor WordPress themes. I wouldn’t ever sponsor one, Matt Cutts himself says these links won’t count for SEO, they’re easy to spot and discount.

But as a web designer, designing a wordpress theme and linking back to your site can get you business, which could be far better than the money you’d get selling the link.

9. dang i didnt know there was money to be made of WP designs… now i wish i had taken some graphics design classes.

10. Hey.

I’m gtull1 @ DP.

I think this is dead. G is not really counting footer links in wp blogs anymore, I think. I have sponsored a few. Honestly, I didn’t get many links from either of them.

11. job says:

thanks for sharing this piece of information! really interesting idea to make money online

12. Anonymous says:

This seems to be an attractive way of earning money. I didn’t hear this earlier seems I had been backdated. But now since i know it, i’ll surely try this out. Kelli

13. now I understood why people offers their themes for free.

14. bosbecak says:

that means i should start learning php then :p

15. Thanks for this article. I understand how the process works and I’ve been thinking of sponsoring some themes to get more links to our new blog. My concern, however, is ROI and SEO. I’m not sure the number of links I’ll be getting will be worth the amount I’ll be investing. Secondly, do these links have any SEO value. As to traffic, I don’t think it amounts to anything. I, for one, don’t notice the sponsors of a theme in the sites I visit, much less click on their links. :)

16. Wow!

Sounds like a good way to make money. Unfortunately I have the graphical talent of a mole :) so will have to leave this to others!

Neil

17. Bai Jiu says:

I never understood this sponsoring themes thing. Thanx for Your insight!

18. Yeni says:

There are a lot of things that go into getnitg good rankings SE rankings-proper keywords, inbound links, good content, blah blah blah. That said, Thesis is probably a great theme to use for your WordPress blog. I don’t use it personally, but I’ve only heard good things about it. Below I will put a link to two great ebooks on how to use Thesis. They also go into blog monetization as well.I hope you find what your looking for, good luck with your online business.